[Serusers] avp_subst for SER + some general rantings about av pairs and lingo...

Michal Matyska michal at iptel.org
Mon Jul 17 18:32:23 CEST 2006

Ok, I'll add few words of mine understanding.

There is one major difference between select (@) and AVP($). The select
is READ-ONLY "function", the AVP could be used as variable ('coz is
read/write).

The select helps to get direct access to some parts of request within
the script (like @to, @cseg.method, @msg.["P-anyheader-youwant"]), but
generally could be seen as function returning a string with certain
number of parameters.

Each module can extend the syntax the select framework understands
registering it's own select table. Look on TLS module or db_ops as good
samples.

The AVPs are sorted into classes and tracks:
GENERAL class (same for both FROM and TO track)
DOMAIN class
USER class
with one interesting feature, that the AVP accesse by the track prefix
only is searched in the USER class, if not found in DOMAIN class and
then in GLOBAL class, so you can define GLOBAL value, which is overrided
by DOMAIN (if desired) and by USER AVPs.

Small example could make it more understandable:
# idea in script syntax
lookup_domain("$td","@ruri"); #load domain attrs with to track based on R-URI
lookup_user("$tu","@ruri");   #load user attrs with to track based on R-URI
if (!registerd("$t.uid") && ($t.voicemail)) {t_forward_to("","$voicemail"; drop;}

You can set (admin in domain_attrs and user_attrs) when forwarding to the
voicemail is desired or not.

if (... ($t.voicemail)) checks if the AVP exists (in user, domain or
global class) and if yes, it's value is used as destination for
forwarded request.

The user and domain classes are hold together with other data in tm
module, so they are set the same way it were within the on_failure,
on_reply route blocks. All changes done in onbranch route are disposed.

Michal