[Serusers] xmlrpc

Greger V. Teigre greger at teigre.com
Thu Aug 10 07:48:42 CEST 2006

Folks,

Repost of serdev post from Jan a while back:
g-)

Some time ago I announced new management interface which was described
here:
http://www.iptel.org/ser/ser_rpc.xhtml

I just wanted to let you know that I will start commiting the changes
shortly. I apologize in advance if HEAD temporarily does not
compile.

After discussions with Andrei, Juha and others I decided to keep FIFO
and UNIX socket interfaces, but I reimplemented them as modules. That
means administrators can load only the one that they need (or all of
them if necessary).

- fifo module will implement very simple (plaintext, readable) interface
  to SER, which is easily accessible from any shell script and very easy
  to use and read (although the format of messages with change a bit).

- The purpose of unixsock interface will be to provide very efficient
  and fast interface. This is mainly intended for the communication with
  SEMS and other bandwidth-intensive applications. Most likely the
  underlying protocol of the unix socket interface will change too -- we
  have been thinking about fast and efficient binary encoding
  (suggestions are welcome).

- xmlrpc module will provide XML-RPC based interface to SER. This
  interface will provide type-rich interface on top of TCP/IP. This
  module will provide remote management interface to SER with the
  possibility to use TLS for encryption, HTTP digest for authentication
  and authentication in the configuration script. XML-RPC is not
  very efficient but is is extremely easy to use from almost any
  language.

    Jan.