[Serusers] How to change display name

Evan Borgström evan.borgstrom at ca.mci.com
Wed Aug 9 00:00:07 CEST 2006

	Just to throw another of my $0.02 in here I'd like to point out that
the RFC for PAI states (section 9.1):

   A P-Asserted-Identity header field value MUST consist of exactly one
   name-addr or addr-spec.  There may be one or two P-Asserted-Identity
   values.  If there is one value, it MUST be a sip, sips, or tel URI.
   If there are two values, one value MUST be a sip or sips URI and the
   other MUST be a tel URI.

	So to correctly identify yourself to the PSTN you need to send two PAI
headers, one sip & one tel. For example:

   P-Asserted-Identity: "Cullen Jennings" <sip:fluffy at cisco.com>
   P-Asserted-Identity: tel:+14085264000

	This is hard to accomplish with the current stable version of SER, the
version in CVS is another story. And while I encourage forward movement
in the protocol the RPID accomplishes transporting of Caller-ID
information to calls destined for the PSTN much better IMHO as not all
PSTN gateways support the PAI headers and the RPID doesn't need to a
"trusted" resource, simply how the call should be identified.

	Finally, just because something's depreciated doesn't mean it doesn't
do a good job at what it was intended for, look at how many sites still
run the 1.3 branch of Apache and they're at 2.2 now. I know it's apples
& oranges, but I think I've conveyed my side of the argument...

-Evan