[Users] openser admin

Mike Williams mike at mikebwilliams.com
Wed Aug 30 23:29:15 CEST 2006

On Tuesday 29 August 2006 09:50, peter.3.edwards at bt.com wrote:
> Hi, Mike.
>
> I've noticed that you've added Upgrade and Uninstall options to the
> OpenSER Administrator website - great stuff.  Although, I did notice
> that your upgrade instructions don't mention anything about upgrading
> the database tables - I presume if you need to do that at a later date,
> you'll supply an equivalent SQL script (like the database_tables.sql and
> delete_database_tables.sql scripts for install and uninstall,
> respectively)?  Might be worth mentioning that.

Yes, I definitely will. Ruby on Rails actually provides a very convenient
system for doing this that works for any database, called migrations. I'm
going to try to learn and use those, and I think it will be the cleanest way.
Upgrades and downgrades will be handled with a simple shell command.

> As for your request for ideas for new features ... I think the
> documentation within OpenSER admin could do with a bit more content -
> I'm quite new to OpenSER and OpenSER Administrator so I'm not entirely
> clear what VoIP Accounts, Domains, Groups, Group Membership etc.
> specifically refer to (well, I get accounts and domains but it gets a
> bit fuzzier after that).  Perhaps a little paragraph at the top of each
> page with a brief but clear description?

More documentation, will do. I think all of us forget sometimes after we work
with a product for a couple years why it isn't obvious to everyone how
something works or what something means.

> On top of that, I guess I come less from a user-centric world and lean
> more towards the administrator side of things so I'm less interested in
> letting users login to change their profiles and more interested in
> seeing options that will allow easier adminstration - such as a web
> interface to configuring parts of the openser.cfg file - being able to
> toggle the debug level at will, stop/start/restart OpenSER from the web,
> change the port OpenSER listens on, enable/disable modules on startup -
> and, generally, anything that can be web-ified from the .cfg file.
> Obviously, I'm not talking about a replacement to the .cfg file - but
> something that can modify some of the various options on the fly would
> be useful ...

As for a user-centric/administrator centric application, I made a definite
decision to make this program administrator centric. Maybe I or someone else
will release a user-centric control panel someday in the future. I actually
have a small one written; it's just too much time for me to maintain. If
anyone else is interested in it, GPL but with no support, let me know.

I think I will work on some configuration modification features next, since
that seems to be what everyone wants.