[Serusers] Modules writing and overhead.

Jan Janak jan at iptel.org
Thu Sep 29 15:51:26 CEST 2005

On 29-09-2005 09:22, sip wrote:
> Well, I ended up muddling through the module API long enough to write a module
> to handle a specific scenario. Some of our UAs have *69 capability (call
> return here in the US of A), some don't... so I wrote a module that takes data
> from our ACC log (using a raw query since the regular query doesn't have the
> LIKE functionality) and finds out who the last user to send an invite to the
> currently dialing user was and connects the call accordingly.
>
> I understand that this may be a little like trimming a mustache with a
> weedwacker, but the severely limited set of available database manipulation
> operations available through existing modules made this somewhat useful (to
> me, anyway).
>
> The question really comes down to... what sort of overhead does it incur to do
> something like this? Granted, not everyone and his brother shall be calling
> *69 on an even semi-regular basis among my userbase, so it won't even process
> much... but should I expect the bottleneck to be (as I expect it is) the
> database server and its query speeds?

  Exactly. The acc table can become huge (depending on the call rate)
  and acc table related queries can take a long time. Especially if you
  use regular expression matching which can be hardly optimized using
  indexes in the database server.

  In any case you should enable slow query log in mysql server and watch
  for slow queries from time to time.

    Jan.