[Serusers] use of SRV records for failover

Markus Storm markus.storm at telefonica.de
Tue Sep 27 10:31:43 CEST 2005

Dear all,

we would like to do loadbalancing and failover with SRV in our multi-SER setup.

I.e. ser-1 gets a call and can forward the call to either ser-2 or ser-3.
There's a DNS SRV record that points to both, ser-2 and ser-3 (same weight, same priority).
On ser-1, I use the SRV name to forward calls to.

Now I'd like ser-1 to distribute calls according to weight and priority, i.e.
50% to ser-2 and 50% to ser-3.
But it doesn't, it keeps sending to ser-2 (the first entry in the SRV record's list).

Also, if say ser-2 goes down, I'd like ser-1 to notice that and only ever try to send subsequent
requests to ser-2 until <something> happens (e.g. until the SRV record TTL expires).

I found a one-year old message in the archives stating that neither of this is possible
(unless I use a DNS A record that points to multiple IP addresses, but that's not what I want).

Is it meanwhile possible with the current SER software ?

thanks
Markus