[Serusers] Inserting SER into my voice network

Ray Van Dolson rayvd at digitalpath.net
Wed Sep 21 18:19:53 CEST 2005

First off, here is my voice network layout currently:

http://webdev.digitalpath.net/~rayvd/voice/voice_network2.png

We're using Asterisk for voicemail, call routing (for long-distance, LNP, etc)
and SER/rtpproxy at the other end which handles NAT onto private networks
where customer's exist.

This setup works fairly well for the most part, except that Asterisk does not
have a jitter buffer.  I would like to make use of rtpproxy (or mediaproxy)
for their jitter buffer on both ends of our voice links here.  To me, that
would mean shoving a SER/rtpproxy combo between Asterisk and our provider
network.  Possibly on the same server.

I could easily throw up a SER installation, but I'm trying to figure out if
there's any way to leave Asterisk in the SIP path but remove it from the media
path (have RTP just go straight from SER/rtpproxy to my provider's RTP proxy).

Have any of you set up a scenario somewhat like this?  Any recommendations?
Asterisk CVS-HEAD does let you apply a patch and get some very alpha jitter
buffer support.  But CVS HEAD doesn't work reliably for me at all currently so
I'm sticking with the latest stable release of 1.0.x series.

I'm running SER 0.9.3 FYI on the SER proxies I have set up currently.

Thanks.

--
Ray Van Dolson
Linux/Unix Systems Administrator