[Serusers] ser+nat+siproxd+asterisk

Greger V. Teigre greger at teigre.com
Fri Sep 2 08:36:27 CEST 2005

IMHO, siproxd is not suited for a far-end NAT traversal scenario and certainly not capable of scaling if you have a large user community. It is suitable (and made) as a way to simplify traversal through firewalls in the corporate network and can be used standalone to handle mydomain.com calls (company internal and email-based calls).
With ser, I assume it can be used to move the NAT issue from centrally managed closer to the user community.  It may make sense to in some scenarios if the corporation is not ready to upgrade the FW to one with SIP ALG or upon up lots of ports.
- If you provide services to the corporation and the ser is on the outside, it should be installed on a case by case basis (some FWs have SIP ALG already)
- If you provide single user services and they happen to be behind corporate FWs, forget about siproxd

g-)