[Serusers] ser-rtpproxy bridge mode and T38

Greger V. Teigre greger at teigre.com
Thu Oct 27 08:28:35 CEST 2005

serusers is more appropriate. serdev is for development, i.e. code, not user
issues.

> I have raised this issue in dev list but got no response, hoping some
> one here will be able to answer this.
>
> I have read in RtpProxy that RtpProxy waits for both parties to send
> atleast one udp packet and then it fills up both ip:port structures
> associated with that call and then it starts relaying.

Yes, this is to ensure that the proxy can get through the NATs.

> Call Setup is like this:
>                --------Media----->
> A-Party ----->MG-------->SSW------>SER/RtpProxy------->B-Party
>
> now only B-Party is sending UDP Packets and Ser/RtpProxy sends them to
> SSW (signalling entity) instead of MediaGateway. As soon as RtpProxy
> receives one udp packet from A-Party then it sends those RTP packets to
> MG i.e. it starts relaying following the right path.
> how I can solve this ???

I'm afraid I'm not capable of understanding what you are saying here.  You
have SSW in the media path? Or are you trying to show both media and
signalling path in the same picture? What is really the priblem? rtpproxy
will only do what you tell it to (using force_rtp_proxy).

> Adding to this, now after RTP relay starts successfully. B-Party (if
> Dialed number is a FAX) reinvites with T38 and the IP:Port info in SDP
> remains same. Now somehow RtpProxy is not recognizing the T38 packets
> becuase we are in the same session and RtpProxy start sending those
> T38 packets to SSW (signalling entity) instead of sending to MG. Please
> remember we are in the same session, and RtpProxy shud send these T38
> packets to MG, as it was sending RTP packets before ReInvite.
>
> is it a bug in RTPProxy, should I use MediaProxy instead ???

You need to handle reINVITEs in a special way. Look at the Getting Started
scripts (and document) from onsip.org for how to do it both for rtpproxy and
mediaproxy.

g-)