[Serusers] Username conventions with Asterisk as voicemail ???

sip sip at arcdiv.com
Tue Oct 11 03:22:20 CEST 2005

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 07:29:17 +0800, Ryan Pagquil wrote
> Hi Iqbal,
>        Speaking of users registered in SER with Asterisk voicemails,
> how would you allow calls from external domains to reach your user's
> voicemail, considering those callers don't have an asterisk account?
> Isn't it Asterisk will prompt "403 Forbidden"?
>
> Ryan

I just set up Asterisk to handle voicemail in a rather simple fashion. The
mailboxes on the Asterisk box are set up with the same number as the phone
number for the local SER user. If the SER user is in the asterisk group (a
sort of enhanced email compared to the basic SEMS that I have going), then it
simply passes the data on to the asterisk server much the way I'd forward to
another gateway provider:

if(is_user_in("Request-URI", "asterisk"))
{
    setflag(23);
};

Later on where I'd forward to voicemail, I'd just call:

if(isflagset(23))
{
    rewritehostport("10.1.1.25:5090");
    forward(uri:host,uri:port);
    break;
};

Where the 10.1.1.25 would be the IP of your asterisk server.

If you set up the extension in asterisk (since no one's actually logged ON to
the box) and set up the sip.conf right (which takes only some minor changes
for port or codecs if you WANT them), then it forwards right there to the
voicebox and says "The person at extension BLAH is unavailable.... etc, etc"

Very simple, really.

N.