[Serusers] Username conventions with Asterisk as voicemail ???

Daryl Sanders daryl.sanders at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 20:25:27 CEST 2005

I'm looking for pointers, best practices or experiences from SER users
who are using Asterisk for voicemail-only in their SER setup,
especially when it comes to planning username/extension/mailbox naming
schemes.

This is for a large-scale deployment (10K+ users) so I want to get it
right the first time. Many of my users will have DIDs tied to their
account while others will not.

Are there any advantages/disadvantages to having alpha-numeric SER
usernames and using aliases for DID numbers?

I'm not sure if it matters, but we will be using a third party PSTN
provider and will need to support DIDs from multiple countries.

Also, are there any scripts available to automatically create an
Asterisk voicemail box when a new user is added to SER?

As always, your input is greatly appreciated!

- Daryl