[Serusers] Remote Access for SIP trace

Steve Blair blairs at isc.upenn.edu
Tue Nov 22 22:02:48 CET 2005

Rodrigo P. Telles wrote:

>Hi Folks,
>
>I'm using SER in a carrier grade mode and I need to create an interface (GUI) to
>our support team run SIP traces in our SER box.
>I think I have an idea to solve that problem but I don't know if it's the best
>one, follow the idea:
>
>SERVER (SER)
>1 - Run an application in daemon mode using libpcap to capture traffic on port 5060
> - listening on a TCP port
> - capture traffic all the time
> - push all captured traffic to that TCP port (any one who connect/telnet on
>that port can see the traffic - without authentication by now)

This is sort of what we did for basic troubleshooting. The difference is
that we provide a web
interface with three links, 10 second, 30 second and 60 second capture.
The duration of the
capture is then passed to a cgi script that runs ethereal and displays
the results on the web
page. You could probably improve upon this by adding address filtering
options to the web
interface.

>CLIENT (GUI)
>2 - Developed using JAVA || PHP-GTK || C++ || ....
> - Connect to remote port to listen the traffic
> - Can filter what do you want to see (show only filtered traffic or all)
> - Colorized matches
> - Can save the result of your dump/filter to a file
> - etc

The web interface I described allows us to avoid writing anything other
than some php and
perl but a java interface would do too.

>So I did a concept proof...
>
>1 - Wrote a simple server program using Perl who run ngrep in SER box and push
>the captured traffic through it's listening TCP port;
>2 - Wrote a simple client program using Perl who connect to a remote port and
>filter what you want to see or all the traffic;
>
>..and works like

I'd probably do away with the client just because I don't like
distributing software to
clients but that's me :-)