[Serusers] Re: [Serdev] How to gaurd PSTN gateway with openser + NAT

Fri Nov 18 11:57:24 CET 2005

Hi Lokesh!

First you install a STUN server. Then, the clients use this STUN server
to detect the kind of NAT. If the detected NAT can be traversed by STUN,
then they use the public_IP:public:port in the SIP messages. Thus, the
sip proxy can not (need not) differ between clients with public IP and
clients with NAT+STUN.

If the NAT can't be traversed by STUN or the client does not support
STUN, then the SIP proxy should take care of it. You can use the
functions of the nathelper module to:
1. detect if the client is behind nat
2. to rewrite the SIP message
3. to force an RTP relay (rtpproxy)

instead of nathelper+rtpproxy you can also use mediaproxy module +
mediaproxy from ag-projects.

regards
klaus