[Serusers] mysql necessary to add users to ser?

sip sip at arcdiv.com
Mon Nov 7 03:19:20 CET 2005

Technically, you don't need any local repository of users for SER to function.
In such a case, you wouldn't have user authentication, you'd just essentially
let people log onto SER and dial through it. It would be a simple setup, and
you wouldn't really have local users... you'd just let ANYone register.

This sort of setup, of course, has some inherent issues and is probably not
what you're looking for.

The other way of setting up ser requires some sort of local repository of user
information. This could be stored in MySQL, Radius, PostgreSQL, etc. In this
situation, MySQL isn't necessary as much as SOME local database of users is
necessary.

Serctl, however, I think is only equipped to handle MySQL user info, so in
THAT sense, it requires MySQL for several of its functions. Serctl is just a
glorified script for handling some basic functions. If you want to find out
everything it's doing, look it over and find out which tables it's poking
around in and what values it's adding/looking for, etc.

N.

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 03:19:57 +0000, Corey wrote