[Serusers] voip charging by ISP's

sip sip at arcdiv.com
Wed Nov 2 14:46:56 CET 2005

Easy enough dependent on the traffic model for Vonage. I'm not sure how they
work their phone traffic. I assume that all traffic goes through a Vonage
media server of one sort or another (likely balanced for locality).

In such a case, it's a trivial matter to determine where traffic is going and
monitor it. They don't have to know the TYPE as long as they filter out the
obvious things... http traffic to a webserver, for instance. If they just
target traffic to media servers, it's cake to monitor that through a network.

Very similar to when we charge for bandwidth of a particular client... we
monitor the data from their network (doesn't even have to be straight to the
port to which they're connected) segment. Just a matter of juggling rules to
monitor traffic TO their network segment. If you control the routers that all
your customers use, you can very easily monitor the amount of traffic going to
particular locations.

N.

On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 13:28:34 +0000, Iqbal wrote