[Serusers] Advice needed

Greger V. Teigre greger at teigre.com
Sun May 22 08:57:36 CEST 2005

See inline.

Michael Ulitskiy wrote:
> On Saturday 21 May 2005 02:31 am, you wrote:
>> I would say SER is what you need, except that you struggle with the
>> authentication.  You have the following scenarios:
>> 1. PSTN termination with IP-based access control (easiest)
>> 2. PSTN termination with authentication of all INVITEs (yes, that's
>> the UAC module. You should contact the maintainer,  Ramona-Elena
>> Modroiu about the status. I thought it was reported to work, but
>> haven't tried myself)
>> 3. PSTN termination with registration and authentication of REGISTER
>> (but not INVITEs).  Use sipsak to generate a REGISTER for your box.
>>
>> #2 requires that all INVITEs are sent twice and is not a very good
>> option. I would seek out PSTN providers who will give you #1.
>> g-)
>
> UAC module doesn't work and I think won't work unless ser is made
> call-statefull, 'cause it needs to adjust cseq within dialog. I
> posted my findings to this list
> several days ago (UAC module (backport to 0.9.0). Nobody replied so I
> guess
> nobody knows the way to make it work.

I saw your post on serusers, yes, but not on serdev. Because you cannot make
a module work, doesn't mean it doesn't work for all, so as I said, if you
have found a bug, post it to serdev (preferably) or directly to the
maintainer. That's the way open source software work...

> As for ip auth I guess it's just not good enough. UDP invites don't
> require any handshake it's not hard at all to spoof ip address. I
> believe sending 2 invites worth the security it actually adds.

Yes, but you can also do TCP.

> Also I don't understand what you mean by #3. Taking ip address from
> authenticated REGISTER and then doing IP auth on that?

No, using sipsak to actually do a REGISTER on behalf of your ser. No IP
auth, basically it makes your ser a registered client of the GW.  Of course,
if INVITEs still must be authenticated, you are back to the UAC module
problem.

g-)