Fwd: RE: [Serusers] Multiple Registration Servers

Greger V. Teigre greger at teigre.com
Wed May 18 07:10:30 CEST 2005

My understanding of our conclusions:
If you don't have to support NATed devices, there are several ways to do
both load balancing and redundancy using SER.  If you needto support NATed
devices, you can do load balancing (ex. using DNS SRV or dispatcher and in
some way make sure that INVITEs to a particular user goes through the server
the user is registred with, see the thread Iqbal is referring to), but you
cannot do redundancy (as you get into all kinds of scenarios if the server
the user is registered with goes down).
    OR you can do both load balancing and redundancy, by making each
registration server redundant using Linux HA.  However, such a solution is
expensive and hard to maintain. And you have idle servers.
    If you do the math, you end up leasing or buying a commercial load
balancer like F5's BIG-IP or Cisco...

g-)