[Serusers] When will SER send Stop message to Radius Server

matt morris mmorris36 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 28 12:26:55 CEST 2005

Hello List,

First, many thanks to those who replied my previous dumb questions. My SER
0.9.0 with mysql auth and radius accounting with mysql is seemingly working
ok.

I have a question about SER's Radius accounting, but not sure how to ask,
here is my situation:

I'm testing out calls between XLite (caller) and a hardware phone (callee),
but for some reason the call duration is always 30 seconds longer than
actual (For both cases, it's the callee who does the hang up). I tried calls
between XLite and XLite and the duration would be accurate. So I ngrep-d the
traffic for both scenairos, for XLite-XLite's case, the flow is the side who
hangs up (say, UA1) will send the BYE to SER then SER relays the BYE to UA2.
Then UA2 sends an ACK to SER and SER relays the ACK to UA1. For the XLite to
HW phone's case, the phone will still send the BYE to SER and SER will relay
it to XLite. However, XLite will not send an ACK to SER. And the phone sends
another BYE to SER and then SER relays it to XLite -this is repeated for 5 -
6 times until finally SER will just send a 408 Request Timeout to the HW
Phone. And it seems this is the time when SER sends the Stop message to the
Radius server, and hence the extra 30-sec call duration. So I'm wondering if
SER indeed needs the ACK for the BYE message before sending the accounting
stop message to Radius? Or is my situation caused by some other reasons?
Thank you in advance.