[Serusers] Re: How Do I Enable Session Timers On PSTN->SIP Calls?

Iqbal iqbal at gigo.co.uk
Sat Mar 26 15:40:00 CET 2005

tks marian

Can I not set the session-timer based upon the initial time left which is
calculated when a person initiates the call.

The way I do my billing, is that countries will be packaged, rather than
allow anyone to call any country, and then top up there account, hence
countries 1-33 come in pack A etc etc, since we feel that users tend to
call at most 5 countries..if that, hence they will buy a pack which fits
them.

Based on this we have a upper (blended cost) for each pack, which is what
is assigned in our rate table (for customers), for internal usage we
have a cost per country (just so that accounts knows exactly what it
costs us).

Now when a user calls ...this is the aim .....an external script is
called which sees which pack the country falls in, it knows the blended
rate, and then works out max mins the customers has left , then I wanted
to update the session timer (this is where I havent worked out how).

So he calls USA, has 60 mins left, hence the session timer for this call
can be 1800 secs, whereas someone who has 10 mins left the session
-timer would be 300 secs...I am not sure if I can do this, but it
sounded good on paper :-)

If that is possible, and my end gateways support this, then I dont need
to go down a heavy handed billing approach, which I am trying to avoid
like the plague, because looking at the way telcoms is moving and
considering billing a customer adds a huge weight to the cost of the
business...even if its online, telcos will I think goto a flat pricing
model, as more and more countries allow termination at the same price
(or close).

Iqbal