[Serusers] Intermittent Audio

pat newham pnewham at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 18 12:38:28 CET 2005

In the ser.cfg file i have:

modparam("nathelper", "rtpproxy_sock",
"/var/run/rtpproxy.sock")

When I go to the /var/run directory  and do "ls" I can
see rtpproxy.sock along with a directory called
"rtpproxy" containing c files/readme files etc. I ran
"ls -l rtpproxy.sock" and got the following results:

srwxr-xr-x 1root root [date]rtpproxy.sock

I also checked pstree and can see rtpproxy running.

Is it correct for rtpproxy.sock to be in a different
directory to all the rtpproxy c files etc?

When I run the following:

localhost:/var/run# cvs
-d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.ser.berlios.de:/cvsroot/ser
co rtpproxy

I get: ? rtpproxy/127.0.0.1
cvs server: Updating rtpproxy.

Am I running this command in the correct directory?

I again stopped rtpproxy and ser (killall rtpproxy and
killall ser) and restarted rtpproxy ("rtpproxy" from
the command line...does this have to be started in a
particular directory?) and then restarted
ser(/etc/init.d/ser restart). I still have the errors
described below.

Am I doing something ridiculously stupid or missing
something very obvious or is all the above correct?

Regards,
Pat.

http://lists.iptel.org/pipermail/serusers/2005-January/014620.html

http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=8820

> settings
> >> in
> >> Yes.

> >> with
> >> saying
> >> nat)on
> >> This
> >> then I
> below)which
> >>
> >> I'm afraid it's not that simple. ;-) If the
> clients
> >> are directly routable on
> >> your LAN, you would be best off not doing any
> >> nathelper/rtpproxy. The rtp
> >> will then flow directly between the clients.
> >> However, if you use nathelper,
> >> it depends on your knowledge of the clients.  If
> you
> >> send the SIP messages
> >> through an ALG, the ALG will change the SDP IP
> >> addresses (probably), unless
> >> it detects that both are on it's own LAN. This is
> >> dependent on the
> >> implementation.  Anyway, an ALG rewriting to send
> >> rtp in a hairpin (turn in
> >> the NAT) will probably support hairpin.  The
> problem
> >> is that you get all
> >> sorts of problems if the ALG is rewriting and you
> >> make some assumptions
> >> about the SDP payload.
> >> You should probably dump the SIP messages on the
> >> outside of the NAT (I
> >> believe you said ser is on a public address
> >> outside?)
> >>
> >> External scripts should never be used. If a
> script
> >> blocks, you block the ser
> >> ser process. If the same error is triggered in
> >> several processes, ser will
> >> stop responding.

> same
> >> NAT