[Serusers] Intermittent Audio

Greger V. Teigre greger at teigre.com
Tue Mar 15 13:01:35 CET 2005

Pat,

> The system is currently being tested by someone else
> but I believe they are behind a Linksys VPN router.

Have a look at these:
http://lists.iptel.org/pipermail/serusers/2005-January/014620.html
http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=8820

> Are you suggesting it could simply be the settings in
> this?
Yes.

> I "think" I understand the nat issues associated with
> sip and sdp fairly ok so would I be correct in saying
> that if my two clients are behind nat(the same nat)on
> the same subnet the rtpproxy should be invoked? This
> would be my understanding of the situation but then I
> saw a recent email (see message header below)which
> suggests an external script should be used.

I'm afraid it's not that simple. ;-) If the clients are directly routable on
your LAN, you would be best off not doing any nathelper/rtpproxy. The rtp
will then flow directly between the clients.  However, if you use nathelper,
it depends on your knowledge of the clients.  If you send the SIP messages
through an ALG, the ALG will change the SDP IP addresses (probably), unless
it detects that both are on it's own LAN. This is dependent on the
implementation.  Anyway, an ALG rewriting to send rtp in a hairpin (turn in
the NAT) will probably support hairpin.  The problem is that you get all
sorts of problems if the ALG is rewriting and you make some assumptions
about the SDP payload.
You should probably dump the SIP messages on the outside of the NAT (I
believe you said ser is on a public address outside?)

External scripts should never be used. If a script blocks, you block the ser
ser process. If the same error is triggered in several processes, ser will
stop responding.

> Re: FW: [Serusers] calls between UA´s b ehind same NAT
> us ing nathelper/rtpproxy
>
> Also what confuses me is that the scenario works
> sometimes and yet other times it doesnt.

:-) Welcome to the club...

g-)