[Serusers] SER Community Site ( onsip.org ) and Getting StartedDocumentation

Greger V. Teigre greger at teigre.com
Wed Mar 9 11:51:16 CET 2005

Hi Klaus,
I think we all agree that there has been a gap between needs and what has
been available. The serusers list has been suffering and people have spent
too many hours trying to track down information they need.  Many people do
not have the technical capabilities you have and are not capable to sort
through unstructured information and sort the wheat from the chaff. This is
also extremely difficult when you are new the ser (and maybe SIP).

    Exactly what should fill the gap is still open.  We have made an attempt
at providing a space for user-contributed, semi-structured information at
http://onsip.org/.  In my opinion it should not be like voip-info.org, there
is a need for somebody taking a moderator role to secure the accessibility
of the information (this is the "structured" part).  Also, being able to
comment directly on downloads, posts, etc is often extremely valuable.  The
PHP.net online (commentable) documentation is a very good example of this
"semi-structured" approach.

    We don't have the answers, only some ideas, and it's up to the community
to vote forward the good ideas with clicks and contributions and the bad by
ignoring them (and maybe voip-info will come out as the better alternative).

    Anyway, as you are one of the authoritative people on many ser issues, I
sincerely hope you take ONsip.org for what it is and contribute positively
to making ser more accessible to more people.  You will hopefully find that
our intentions of posting complete ser.cfg examples from our Getting Started
document will cover some of the things on your list below.  We had intended
to launch ONsip.org when the first draft was ready, but decided that the
recent discussion on the list would benefit from the information about our
current activities.

Best regards,
Greger