[Serusers] "Best practice" document, Business system open source

Alexey N. Kovyrin @ Home alexey at home.kovyrin.net
Tue Mar 8 12:50:34 CET 2005

Hans Eriksson wrote:

> Guys,
>
> this discussion faded away. Is it still hot but carried out somewhere
> else?
>
> Anyway, I am committed to put my business support system in the open
> source. We use it both in projects at Royal Institue of Technology
> (KTH), Stockholm, as well as commercially (www.xtrafone.com). The BSS
> handles order, customers, accounts, rating, billing (pre-paid),
> customer My Pages, etc. The lot!
>
> KTH use SER as its proxies wheras we use the Asterisk in
> www.xtrafone.com. As long as there are CDRs placed in a MySql tables,
> the BSS can pick that up and rate, charge.
>
> I have also written a couple of How-To (install ser, mysql etc).
>
> All this I'd like to add to the pot. I am all for to create a complete
> package for a commercial or non-commercial VoIP operator that includes
> a proxy, gateway and BSS. And also the docs describing best practices
> (ser.cfg, logging, NAT traversal, etc). Just add marketing and
> customers and you roll.
>
> For the BSS I don't really know where to place the code. Beside the
> ser? sourceforge? It is written in /bin/sh, awk, SQL and php (no,
> nothing to compile!). Runs on any Linux, MacOSX and FreeBSD system.

It's a very good stuff to share, I think.

> Can we get this discussion thread going again and get started putting
> our stuff into a shared pool where we can get going to change the
> world (I just could not hold back :-).

Guys, what we need to start sharing of interesting things we all have? I
think, now we can create simple ftp-storage with dedicated directories
for all of authors and simple html-index for that. Later we can create
some type of wiki-site or anything else, but now we can simply share
info. What are you think about this idea?

--
/Scoundrel