[Serusers] SER in production VOIP environment

Iqbal iqbal at gigo.co.uk
Wed Jun 22 14:11:04 CEST 2005

Hi

Depends on what you really want to do, and how you wish to scale,
several setups which I have been invloved with use a combo of SER and
asterisk, asterisk is great for alot of pbx functionality, but to be
honest SER and asterisk can be awkward to get right all the time,
passing mof message back and forth etc etc.

SER is a great proxy, and can handle all the registrations, althought it
would be nice if there were a nice clustering solution for it, which
worked with NAT, but i am sure that will come along soon enough, even
with 3rd party apps like LVS. But even as a stand alone it can handle
alot of queries, but as with nething fine tuning is time-based process
and you cannot really build it to perfection on day one.

Asterisk can also handle gateway functionaility, and its a personal
choice if you opt for oneof these or cisco box or something. carrier
grade is not a easy option, and cannot be built overnight, but thats the
great thing "build it and they will come" :-).

Iqbal