[Serusers] SER in production VOIP environment

Wed Jun 22 09:20:43 CEST 2005

Hi Jerlique!

It all depends on requirements:
  - how many clients
  - do you want to operate your own PSTN gateway
  - are the clients behind NAT
  - ...

For example, if this is for a small office (20 clients sitting in an
office, existing ISDN lines ...), then Asterisk alone will handle this -
no need for ser.

If you are thinking of an ITSP setup with >= 1000 clients, then you will
need a SIP proxy (e.g. ser) for user registration, call routing and NAT
traversal. For PSTN connectivity you will have several PSTN Gateways
(Asterisk or commercial ones) or you buy PSTN connectivity from a
terminatione provider (nufone, level3, globalcrossing, ...).

regards,
klaus