[Serusers] Re: [Serdev] rel_0_9_0 release critical bugs/missing things

Java Rockx javarockx at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 17:27:09 CEST 2005

Hi All.

I'll toss in my US$0.02 worth.

IMHO, it is better to have _minmal_ documented code rather than no code. My
reasoning is simple. Full documentation will really delay the stable release
of 0.9.0 and for the "users" there are other documentation projects such as
http://onsip.org/ which provide very good tutorials.

By the time a user gets through the onsip.org
<http://onsip.org>documentation he/she would hopefully be acclimated
to the structure of SER
and be able to dig in to the source when looking for something.

I'm not suggesting that the SER sources should remain undocumented. I
strongly agree that the README files should be updated, but the fact of the
matter is that the README files are only the "tip of the iceberg" so to
speak when it comes to really using SER. For example, the README files
generally do not describe when or where to use a particular function.

Full documentation for SER usage is probably better off on a site like
onsip.org <http://onsip.org> where the focus is only on "how do I get SER to
..."

So I guess the point I'm really trying to make is that the README files
should probably be updated with _minimal_ notes of missing or deprecated
functions, but complete documentation on using SER should not be a
requirement to promoting SER 0.9.0 to stable.

Regards,
Paul