[Serusers] Re: [Serdev] openser/ser - avoiding forks

Daniel-Constantin Mierla daniel at voice-system.ro
Wed Jun 15 23:05:53 CEST 2005

Hello,

On 06/15/05 16:59, Cesc wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Finally we move from philosophy to specifics.
>
>I think there are 3 parties involved in here: iptel, voice-systems and
>users. Iptel and voice-systems have their own agenda's, and fights
>between them end up harming users.
>
>The project model started by iptel

see my previous mail to know exactly how it was.

> took us very far and made ser a
>great application,
>but it's own success should make them realize that changes are needed.
>Greger's and Iqbal's email are I think mostly right and layout a good
>view of what is going on here. And Andrei's email is a good way to
>start "peace talks".
>
>Clearly, SER has grown far so that different interests apply and this
>has caused friction.
>Friction means there is a problem. I do think that forking is not the
>best solution, but
>things MUST change.
>Contributions must have an easy way into SER: starting maybe as
>experimental, then moving into unstable, then as testing and finally
>into stable (kind of debian approach). And this process must be
>well-defined and NOT CONTROLLED exclusively by a company (be iptel or
>voice-systems, same-o, same-o). If the contribution is voted as
>desirable by a community of users, it is well tested and so on, it
>should be accepted.

It is exactly what openser aims. I may leave for 6 month for an island
to drink and smoke, the community should not wait for me ... Hopefully
this situation could have been avoided if some would accept to delegate
a replacement maintainers if they have no time. Half an year is way too
much, as it was pointed out, many users requested new features from
unstable to be released as stable (e.g., lcr), should they wait another
half an year?!? They tested, they are using it for long time, so I think
they are right.

>TLS is only the first, but what will happen when someone develops a
>free-LDAP module  (actually, i think there is one ... just never
>became  mainstream) or any other module which now is kept private by
>iptel/voice-systems?? If SER is opensource, let it be the whole way.
>
>Summarizing ... I think the shake up by the voice-system's guys is
>good and desirable,
>but now it is time to stick together and work out a compromise which
>works for everybody
>(and specially for the user).
>I think Andrei's email is a good start. Let's work on it.

I already sent my contribution there. Waiting now ...

Daniel