[Serusers] Re: [Serdev] openser/ser - avoiding forks

Cesc cesc.santa at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 15:59:03 CEST 2005

Hi,

Finally we move from philosophy to specifics.

I think there are 3 parties involved in here: iptel, voice-systems and
users. Iptel and voice-systems have their own agenda's, and fights
between them end up harming users.

The project model started by iptel took us very far and made ser a
great application,
but it's own success should make them realize that changes are needed.
Greger's and Iqbal's email are I think mostly right and layout a good
view of what is going on here. And Andrei's email is a good way to
start "peace talks".

Clearly, SER has grown far so that different interests apply and this
has caused friction.
Friction means there is a problem. I do think that forking is not the
best solution, but
things MUST change.
Contributions must have an easy way into SER: starting maybe as
experimental, then moving into unstable, then as testing and finally
into stable (kind of debian approach). And this process must be
well-defined and NOT CONTROLLED exclusively by a company (be iptel or
voice-systems, same-o, same-o). If the contribution is voted as
desirable by a community of users, it is well tested and so on, it
should be accepted.
TLS is only the first, but what will happen when someone develops a
free-LDAP module  (actually, i think there is one ... just never
became  mainstream) or any other module which now is kept private by
iptel/voice-systems?? If SER is opensource, let it be the whole way.

Summarizing ... I think the shake up by the voice-system's guys is
good and desirable,
but now it is time to stick together and work out a compromise which
works for everybody
(and specially for the user).
I think Andrei's email is a good start. Let's work on it.

Cesc