[Serdev] Re: [Serusers] OpenSER release

Steve Blair blairs at isc.upenn.edu
Wed Jun 15 12:52:01 CEST 2005

Juha Heinanen wrote:

>Klaus Darilion writes:
>
> > There are people testing it and already fixing bugs. I remember a person
> > asking for help to create a cvs where he can extend the TLS patch - and
> > there was no response from the iptel guys. I also took quite long to
> > come up with the "contribs/experimental" directory - which IMO is not
> > very comfortable.
>
>i don't know what happened at iptel regarding tls.  more than a month
>ago i got private email from iptel saying that tls will be included
>officially is ser CVS.  this contribs/experimental thing cannot be it or
>if it is, i'm disappointed.
>
>-- juha

   Let me start by describing our environment. We are an Enterprise
environment that
 operates internally much like a Service Provide. We have a large
(30,000+) node IP network
 with 25,000+ voice lines. We also have a research & development
environment that is driven
 by our participation in Internet2 projects and also through University
funded  research projects.

   I may not be able to speak to the contribution and patch release
issues because we've only
 used functionality inherent in the available releases. I can say we
would like a stable product
 which is open to development from the community and allows such
development to be included
 in periodically released future updates.

   I'm not concerned about whether these updates appear first in the
unstable branch however
 whatever appears in this branch should only be included in a stable
release if it has indeed been
 shown to be stable and of consistent performance. We will run whatever
release we select in
 our test environment before deploying it internally.

   What does concern me is that we have access to stable releases with
clearly documented
 feautres and a changelog showing what enhancements have been done since
the last release.
 It is also helpful to see a list of features and functionality that has
been submitted from the
 community and is to be included in future releases.

    I've seen quotes that say SER is the Apache of VoIP. I personally
think this high praise
 and shows a level of confidence in SER that is worth recognizing. SER
did not get this
 level of recognition by being a half-bake application. Let's try to
focus on maintaining this
 confidence by acknowledging the value of contributions from the
community and the
 architectural vision of the core developers.

 $0.02 from an end user.

 - Steve