[Serdev] Re: [Serusers] OpenSER release

Greger V. Teigre greger at teigre.com
Wed Jun 15 12:50:58 CEST 2005

Juha,
I can confirm that the experimental/tls has nothing to do with iptel and
that Cesc's TLS work is based on the TLS code submitted some months ago to
serdev by P. Griffith. I don't know any specifics about Iptel's plans for
inclusion of TLS in the trunk. Also, I feel that is the way it should be:
The experimental CVS module will now live a life outside iptel's
dispositions and is open to anyone who have something to contribute and who
are willing to commit to doing maintanance.

    How to resolve conflicts between experimental modules and iptel modules?
There must obviously be some process for moving code from experimental to
the main tree.  Jan has just commited a new CVS policy document, I quote
from the section on Unrestricted CVS Access: "When considering giving anyone
full write access, we will look at your code to see whether it is of general
use, it should compile with the latest SER versions and you must be willing
to maintain the code in the main tree (alternatively you could convince
another developer to maintain the module for you)."
    I assume he means the core group when writing "we" here.  Experience
will show whether some kind of voting in the community or other type of
feedback process should influence the decision on whether an experimental
module (or competing modules) should be promoted to the main CVS modules
tree.  The TLS module will obviously be the first test case for this new
approach to contributions.

g-)