[Serdev] Re: [Serusers] how to increment cseq? (for uac auth)

Michael Ulitskiy mdu113 at acedsl.com
Thu Jun 9 20:31:42 CEST 2005

On Thursday 09 June 2005 01:18 am, you wrote:

> Michael Ulitskiy wrote:
> > Greg, do you really believe that avoiding added, but optional
> > complexity
> > is good enough reason for not having IMHO necessary functionality?
>
> Not at all. My point was that it is extremely important to add functionality
> where it belongs logically and where you can ensure that regular ser.cfg
> users are able to use the functionality without understanding the specs.

Sure. I probably got you wrong. Sorry.

> > Again, IMHO, having something better than ip auth is a must in
> > today's internet.
>
> Again, I agree.

Perfect :)

> > On the subject:
> > I guess the reason is, as I said before, that not only cseq in
> > original invite must be incremented, but cseq in all subsequent
> > in-dialog messages must
> > be adjusted (decremented for messages relayed to callee and
> > incremented
> > for messages relayed to called party). That is what, I guess, is hard
> > to do in today's ser.
> > I've posted my thoughts on how it possibly could be accomplished
> > at http://lists.iptel.org/pipermail/serdev/2005-May/004589.html and
> > haven't received any feedback or comments.
> > I guess either there's a lack of interest for getting it to work
> > which I guess is really strange or it's too hard to implement at
> > current stage.
> > As always any comments are welcome :)
>
> I don't think it's a lack of interest or lack of need for it. All the
> developers are bombarded with requests and have long lists of core things to
> do.  Sometimes its even hard to get them to evaluate and include patches in
> CVS.
>     IMHO, increment cseq belongs in the UAC module (can do far too much harm
> if users play around with it).  If you cannot get the maintainers attention,
> there is only one way: Get your hands dirty ;-)

I agree. I wasn't at all going to argue that it logically belongs to UAC module.
Well, I believe I did everything I could to give it a push. I'm a user, not a
developer and I'm not sure that I can even get myself somehow familiar
with ser codebase in a finite amount of time. I understand this is open-source,
but I guess users entitled to make feature requests :)

> g-)

Michael