[Serdev] Re: [Serusers] how to increment cseq? (for uac auth)

Greger V. Teigre greger at teigre.com
Thu Jun 9 07:18:53 CEST 2005

Michael Ulitskiy wrote:
> Greg, do you really believe that avoiding added, but optional
> complexity
> is good enough reason for not having IMHO necessary functionality?

Not at all. My point was that it is extremely important to add functionality
where it belongs logically and where you can ensure that regular ser.cfg
users are able to use the functionality without understanding the specs.

> Again, IMHO, having something better than ip auth is a must in
> today's internet.

Again, I agree.

> On the subject:
> I guess the reason is, as I said before, that not only cseq in
> original invite must be incremented, but cseq in all subsequent
> in-dialog messages must
> be adjusted (decremented for messages relayed to callee and
> incremented
> for messages relayed to called party). That is what, I guess, is hard
> to do in today's ser.
> I've posted my thoughts on how it possibly could be accomplished
> at http://lists.iptel.org/pipermail/serdev/2005-May/004589.html and
> haven't received any feedback or comments.
> I guess either there's a lack of interest for getting it to work
> which I guess is really strange or it's too hard to implement at
> current stage.
> As always any comments are welcome :)

I don't think it's a lack of interest or lack of need for it. All the
developers are bombarded with requests and have long lists of core things to
do.  Sometimes its even hard to get them to evaluate and include patches in
CVS.
    IMHO, increment cseq belongs in the UAC module (can do far too much harm
if users play around with it).  If you cannot get the maintainers attention,
there is only one way: Get your hands dirty ;-)

g-)