[Serusers] Asterisk and SER

Chris St Denis chris at aebc.com
Fri Jun 3 22:57:27 CEST 2005

1. I believe asterisk will need a public IP because the RTP data will be
going directly from the (I'm assuming external) client to it. Ser will only
touch the SIP. If you are using media proxy (which I have not yet done) then
asterisk can probably work on private.

2. SER can also authenticate from database. The table and column names are
customizable in the ser config file so it shouldn't be a problem to share
with asterisk realtime however the registration table will not be shareable.

3. All calls would go through SER. Only those that require features would
hit the asterisk feature server. SER has its own accounting system that
isn't directly compatible with asterisk. You would need to use a ser
accounting system. I *think* ser can do dns srv based load balancing and it
can do failover in the dial plan. Asterisk sharing a dialplan can be done by
sharing a file system (nfs of /etc/asterisk), copying files between the
servers, or pointing at the same database with realtime.