[Serusers] Asterisk and SER

Ronald Wiplinger ronald at elmit.com
Fri Jun 3 18:41:21 CEST 2005

I read about SER and I have installed Asterisk on one machine.
Unfortunately this machine is broken and the replacement will take
longer as I wished.

I have a P-4, 1GHz with 1 GB RAM, which was planned to be used as SER
anyway. I would like to use this downtime of the Asterisk box to install
SER.

I understand that SER and Asterisk can work together, while SER makes
connection, Asterisk will add features.
How do I do that efficiently?

1. SER needs a public IP, does then Asterisk need a pulic IP, or can it
just be on the internal LAN?

2. Now the password for each phone is made in the SIP and IAX config
files. How can I do that than in SER? If I use reatime, can I use the
same database?

3. A user can make a phone call to the users on our system (Asterisk
domain) and via gateways. We use ASTCC for billing. How can I use this
together with SER.
I am not sure if I understand it correct, but would for internal calls
(calls without features) be handeled directly from SER, while if the
user need a feature, than he would be transfered to Asterisk? How can I
setup multiple Asterisk boxes with one SER, but all Asterisk machines
share the same dial plan (realtime)

I wanted to read more first, but the down time of my * forces me to do a
SER setup faster, so that my users can quickly (by office hours Monday)
at least make internal calls.

Any hint is welcome ;-)

bye

Ronald