[Users] Re: [Serusers] OpenSER release

Andrei Pelinescu-Onciul andrei at iptel.org
Tue Jun 14 19:39:10 CEST 2005

On Jun 14, 2005 at 20:10, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu <bogdan at voice-system.ro> wrote:
> Hi SER community,
>
> there are almost two years from the last official SER release and things
> do not promise too much right now. Not only that the progress stuck
> somewhere on the way (rel 0.9.0 was started more than half a year ago),
> but even any attempt to push thing forward seems to be denied - I tried
> along with Daniel to push the release, but seems that not everybody
> shares our and comunity's interest regarding the public part of SER -
> upgrades were rolled back, new software contributions haven't found
> their way in (like TLS and other new modules), modules maintained by
> other developers are inaccessible.

The release is delayed due to lack of time.
Current show stoppers were me reviewing the whole tcp code (after finding
a minor bug) and some radius makefile problem.
Forking ser is a very bad ideea and your exposed reason are far from
enough to motivate it.
Anyway anybody can cvs co -rrel_0_9_0 .

> Unfortunately this is not a good environment if we what to have some
> future progress for SER. And this is the main reason for starting a new
> project called OpenSER - http://www.openser.org .
>
> It's called open because its most important attribute is its opening to
> new ideas and contributions, fast developing and more involvement of the
> comunity. Along with quality, the progress is the main concern.
> We will continue to support and develop the SER project as much as so
> far and as much as possible, but OpenSER will give the liberty for more.

ser just got an experimental module repository for new stuff that is not
tested and/or not reviewed by a core developed (so that it can be added
 to the ser main repository).

> OpenSER serves the interest of all SER users and will not change its
> purpose - as a fact I have the pleasure to announce its first release -
> OpenSER 0.9.4. The web site offers a comprehensive listing of new
> features and fixes - http://www.openser.org/index.php#features. For
> people already familiar to SER 0.9.3, going to
> http://www.openser.org/diffs-0.9.0.php will be more helpful.

Some of the changes listed in the diffs will break compatibility with
current ser configuration scripts. I wonder also when have you tested
all your changes.

Andrei