[Serusers] Session-Timers for Prepaid

Iqbal iqbal at gigo.co.uk
Sat Jul 9 15:53:00 CEST 2005

I think the main reason prepaid exists in voip, is that there is very
little control on who ur customer is, or where they are, hence
collecting money from someone who has bought an account online is very
hard.

Obviously if you dont sell online and sell to ur broadband customers etc,
prepaid is not an issue u just bill them after the fact.

However the problem for a supplier is that upstream gateways all want
prepaid,and unless this changes it is very hard for a provider to offer
postpaid since cashflow just does not add up.

Also the voip business is really full of dodgy characters who run off
with the money, hence postpaid again is hard...but as Jan said it is the
way to go. Corporates will not prepay, they would prefer postpaid, even
residential like to be billed afterwards, hence what needs to happen is
that u need to limit the sales to a local community which can be
controlled as opposed for going for worldwide domaination.

Ser and prepaid, I think its hard to have a tigh 100% solution for
prepaid, just because SER is not designed as a B2BUA, which asterisk has
included, but if u look at the additional cost incurred to scale upto
10000 users, in terms of bandwidth and hardware, and apportion some of
that cost to lost billing minutes, u'll find ser a much better option.
After all most of the features asterisk has are not going to be used by
the majority of your customers, unless of course u target the corporate
PBX market.

For prepay and SER what u need is to know the time, and then send
disconnect.The time u can do a basic systems from acc, unmatched
INVITES, session-timers etc etc, the disconnect use sipsak..however the
latter I just cannot get to work well. I think ser could use a tighter
module which would disconnect.

Iqbal