[Serusers] Carrier-grade framework for SER

Greger V. Teigre greger at teigre.com
Fri Jan 28 12:40:52 CET 2005

Dragos,

I completely agree with you.  When building architectures for scalability
and redundancy, the correct match of technologies will often solve many of
your problems.  And it does make sense to store as much subscriber
information back-end as possible and let proven and standardized(?) systems
handle replication etc.
    In my summary of issues I tried to separate the various issues from
eachother without going as far as you do.  Dependent on where you come from,
various combinations will look appealing.

    I have followed Diameter from a distance for a while, and while it does
seem to take hold in the mobile world, I haven't seen many non-mobile
implementations (it may be my limited perspective...). Most legacy subcriber
databases have a RADIUS interface, but rarely Diameter. In fact, I know that
Siemens have implemented a Mobile RADIUS with location-awareness in RADIUS.
I think that is an example of the (still) appeal of RADIUS.
    I would love to have Diameter capabilities, but deploying Diameter in my
organization is not really feasible at this point. Hence, we try to do as
much as possible with Juha's RADIUS modules.   And here is the point, I
think: One thing is what we would like to have, another thing is the context
we work in and thus what we have.  I have RADIUS and do all provisioning in
an LDAP back-end, other people use mysql also for the subscriber database
(which BTW is simple as serweb has been developed and it works).

    The fact that you (at Fraunhofer) spend time on Diameter and SIP is only
a confirmation of how "cutting-edge" such an approach is. (Well, with legacy
systems, things do not have to be very cutting-edge to be very far away from
implementation...) Secondly, Diameter is the successor of RADIUS, which is a
very "simple" technology compared to Diameter.  Just as with our xmlrpc vs
soap discussion, you gain complexity when you get functionality and for
installation without the need for a certain functionality will only get
complexity; and complexity = $$$.

    And do I think keeping location is a natural function of AAA? Hm,
traditionally subscriber databases kept all the static information about the
subscriber and the subscriber's services.  Location was application
specific. In the mobile world, location is key to all services, so HLR (Home
Location Registers) had location as a natural part of its functionality. For
old/traditional dial-up services, location was more an attribute of the AAA
request, so that authorization could be determined based on when and where
the subscriber tried to get access.  Location keeps getting more and more
important in TCP/IP based services as well, so one may (successfully) argue
that location is a part of the AAA domain.  However, where do you stop?  Is
the capabilities of your end-user device also information that should be in
the AAA domain?  You need to know these capabilities in order to provide
quality services...
    One inherent problem of using AAA for dynamic data is that back-end
technologies that are very well adapted to AAA like LDAP (made for search
speed) have a real problem with frequent writes.  Of course, if you use
Oracle or some big SQL server as a back-end, you have solved that problem,
but you cannot utilize from LDAP capabilities...

    Enough of this ranting... What I'm trying to say is that we need that
"piece-meal" approach to scalability and redundancy: What can we do with
existing installations today that gives us what we need and still leads us
in the right direction?
    So, in order to better understand where we should be going, I would love
to look at what you are doing 3GPP IMS. ;-) If you have some more
information, why don't you post a link?

g-)