[Serusers] Carrier-grade framework for SER

Dragos Vingarzan vingarzan at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Fri Jan 28 11:38:13 CET 2005

Hi Klaus,

If you refer to origination messages, then by doing a UAR
(User-Authorization-Request/Answer)for the originating user to the AAA
server. This will offer a way to ballance user registrations between
serving sers.
If you refer to termination messages, by doing a LIR
(Location-Information-Request/Answer) for the terminating user to the
AAA server. This will find where the destination users are located.

UA->interog.ser->serv.ser->inter.ser->serv.ser->UA
     UAR^                     ^LIR
        |                     |
        +----> AAA server <---+

If you refer to forwarding to new networks or entering the home network,
you are right, SRV should be used. Sorry, I have not made it clear
enough - I was talking about load balancing and stuff JUST inside the
home network. So finding an interogating node, when no AAA server for
that domain could be contacted, remains the same. But it should be more
comfortable, because interogating nodes are fully stateless and should
work very fast.

Dragos

Klaus Darilion wrote:

> Hi Dragos!
>

>> 4. Actually 1. responded to this. Load balancing is controled in
>> interogating sip-proxies and in AAA servers and not by "patches" like
>> DNS SRV (please don't flame me on this one ;-) ).
>

> How should a SIP client detect and choose one of the SIP-proxies
> without using SRV?
>
> regards,
> klaus

Dragos Vingarzan