[Serusers] Carrier-grade framework for SER

Juha Heinanen jh at lohi.tutpro.com
Tue Jan 25 21:15:14 CET 2005

Andreas Granig writes:

 > In short, I plan to write an xmlrpc-based provisioning system for
 > distributing FIFO commands. The main focus is sharing registration
 > contacts and aliases among different SERs (all the data that can't be
 > replicated on a lower (database) layer due to memory caching).

is replication of register requests to other sers too slow for you?

regarding aliases, i don't use aliases table at all.  i return the
possible aliases called user as reply items to radius_does_uri_exist
call.

 > There's an external application on each SER host receiving contacts from
 > a SER module via a local socket. These contacts are wrapped into xmlrpc
 > (in fact the contact is converted into a FIFO command which is wrapped
 > into xmlrpc) and are distributed to the same application on other SER
 > hosts, which writes them into the SER FIFO. If an application is
 > unreachable or reports an error, the distributed FIFO command is
 > queued.

this is close to what i did when i wrote fifo server.  separate fifo
server was supposed to be a temporary thing that can go away when ser
learns to receive fifo commands over tcp.  i still think that it is a
bad idea to introduce a new process to the system that can go down
requiring queuing and other complexities.  so why just not introduce tcp
support for ser fifo?

-- juha