[Serusers] Support for Gateway still on RFC2543

Jan Janak jan at iptel.org
Wed Jan 19 22:55:39 CET 2005

The gateway should not use To, it should use the Request-URI as the
final destination. The reason is that the value put into the To header
field is generated by the calling user agent and it is not guaranteed
that the final recipient (gateway in this case) would know how to
interpret it.

This is different with the Request-URI since this is generated by the
previous hop (usually the proxy in front of the gateway) and it can make
sure that the Request-URI is in the format the gateway would recognize.

For example, if I create alias foo at iptel.org that would be mapped to
+123456 at iptel.org and call sip:foo at iptel.org, my user agent would put
foo at iptel.org in To, but the proxy server would rewrite
sip:foo at iptel.org in the Request-URI into sip:+123456 at iptel.org. The