[Serusers] SER-Redundancy by Master/Slave-Location-DB

Andreas Granig andreas.granig at inode.info
Tue Jan 18 11:18:53 CET 2005

See comments inline...

Greger V. Teigre wrote:
> Have a look at:
> http://www.iptel.org/ser/doc/modules/html/usrloc.html#AEN153

Synchronization *to* a DB works of course out of the box (needed for
saving locations).

But for clustering you will need to synchronize your memory *from* the
DB or from the memory of the other nodes on the fly to get locations
from other nodes so you can lookup them again.

>    Locations are not really that critical, are they?  If you use
> registration intervals of ex. 10 minutes, how do you even manage to
> synchronize the databases manually?

We've about 20.000 users, which would result in ~2.900.000 successful
registrations per day or ~35 successful registerations per second, and
that means ~70 register messages per second (because of the www_challenge).

Replicating on SIP layer means that every successful REGISTER has to be
sent to every server, so IMHO this just will not scale.

Cheers,
Andy