[Serusers] SER-Redundancy by Master/Slave-Location-DB

Andreas Granig a.granig at inode.at
Mon Jan 17 15:43:22 CET 2005

Hi,

Is there a simple way to lookup contacts directly from a DB table
instead of memory? A quick look into the register module doesn't show
anything like that.

The idea behind that is to build a redundant SER cluster. All nodes
write their registrations directly into a MySQL master database, which
replicates the contacts to the slave databases. The SERs then lookup
contacts from their local slave databases. The master database will be
secured by a MySQL cluster.

This is because if I replicate registers on SIP layer (for example with
t_replicate()), I have to synchronize the location databases manually
from time to time, because register replications get lost on heavy SIP
load, and there is actually no way to automatically load contacts which
are stored on other nodes while one SER was down.
Their is also no need to send replicated registers over the net which
reduces SIP messages.

I don't really know how much impact this approach will have regarding
performance (going around the internal location memory), but I think it
will not hurt as much as having out-of-synch location tables on the SER
nodes.

Any comments  on this approach? Anybody who is also interested in such
approach?

Andy