[Serusers] using SER to balance/failover between two asterisk servers?

Girish gr_sh2003 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 6 03:32:16 CET 2005

--- Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk <roy at karlsbakk.net> wrote:
> Asterisk does indeed support INVITE auth. I want all REGISTERs to go to
> the asterisk box(es) but I want to allow one of them to die. All data
> about the register is stored in a common database between the asterisk
> boxes, so it's no problem sharing that.

In the system we use here, all clients register with SER and the invites are forwarded to Asterisk
only when we need any PBX feature. Normal calls are forwarded by SER alone, which we found
scalable, as it doesn't handle RTP streams. When the clients register with Asterisk, all invites
go through Asterisk, which handles media. Of course, we can have Dial statements which dont
request for pbx features, but designing such a complex dialplan was difficult. Also, we wanted to
avoid frequent reloads of Asterisk due to the change of dial preferences by users.

> > Yes. This is possible. You can have failure routing in your script and
> > check for the status of
> > replies and then decide on what to do. Maybe like forwarding calls to
> > another Asterisk or send to
> > a voicemail server etc.
>
> probably something like that, or just 'try forward to server A, didn't
> work, try server B, etc'
> btw, is it possible to schedule this via random or round robin somehow?

AFAIK, there is no such built-in mechanisms to acheive scheduling in a random manner. The failure
routes follow a sequential order. However, you can implement this feature by adding a custom-built
module to SER.

=====
Girish Gopinath  <gr_sh2003 at yahoo.com>