[Serusers] using SER to balance/failover between two asterisk servers?

Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk roy at karlsbakk.net
Wed Jan 5 22:19:14 CET 2005

>> I want to setup SER to forward calls to two or more asterisk SIP
>> servers, having the asterisk servers control authorization etc. Is
>> this
>
> SER can forward calls to Asterisk. I did not understand the "asterisk
> servers control
> authorization" part. You mean authorizing INVITEs? Does Asterisk
> support that? I think no. It will
> accept your call and create another INVITE and send to the
> destination. If you meant registration,
> you can either register clients with SER or Asterisk. If you register
> with Asterisk, then there is
> no need for call forwarding using SER. (I know, your Asterisk
> knowledge is better than mine :-)

Asterisk does indeed support INVITE auth. I want all REGISTERs to go to
the asterisk box(es) but I want to allow one of them to die. All data
about the register is stored in a common database between the asterisk
boxes, so it's no problem sharing that.

>> possible? Also, is it possible to have SER detect if one of the
>> asterisk servers fail, and if failed, use the other one? This would
>> leave me with only the SER box vulnerable alone.
>
> Yes. This is possible. You can have failure routing in your script and
> check for the status of
> replies and then decide on what to do. Maybe like forwarding calls to
> another Asterisk or send to
> a voicemail server etc.

probably something like that, or just 'try forward to server A, didn't
work, try server B, etc'
btw, is it possible to schedule this via random or round robin somehow?

roy