[Serusers] SER stops responding

Samuel Osorio Calvo samuel.osorio at nl.thalesgroup.com
Fri Feb 18 16:54:59 CET 2005

Hi,

I'm not an expert so maybe my guessings are not wright, but I'll try to
help:

There are several possiblities for these "SER time-outs".

The first is the DNS resolving process. When a SER child is making a
DNS query it is blocked, and it does not answer to further incoming
queries. Therefore if all your childs are making this DNS queries, no
process will be available for responding the new requests.
To solve this situation, use stateful behaviour because only the first
request within a transaction requiring DNS resolution will *block*. In
the other hand, if you use stateless SER, ALL requests will require a
DNS query...
(by the way, this information is taken from the SER's admin
guide....have all of the mailing-list subscribers read it? I recomend
it....)

Another possibility is the flexible-but-unreliable exec calls from SER
config file. It is also stated in the admin guide that the use of exec
reduces a lot SER performance and you should be really careful using
them.......having a SER child stoped for an uncertain amount of time
until the exec command finishes can lead to "blocking" phases, for
instance.

One comment: why not changing the current DNS blocking queries for a
non-blocking queries such as reSIProcate does with ARES library??? I
have no idea if it would be a high effort in the SER core...it's just a
possible enhancement....

I hope I was not *completely* wrong and I could help you,
Samuel.

Unclassified.
>>> "Matt Schulte" <mschulte at netlogic.net> 02/18/05 03:55PM >>>
I've had this problem too, especially running syslog debug or external
processes. what ver of ser are you running? We had to ditch a lot of
our
external processes because I assumed they took too long to run, no one
on the list was any help so I just gave up. Not being a coder is very
frustrating..