[Serusers] RTPPROXY in another PC

Greger V. Teigre greger at teigre.com
Sat Feb 5 10:39:20 CET 2005

We run ser on a server in one hosting center and we have the rtpproxy
located locally where subscribers are.  All ser-rtpproxy communications are
run inside an ipsec tunnel using udp. Both for security reasons and
stability, I recommend using ipsec. We have experienced no problems
whatsoever with this setup.

This is the nathelper setup:
modparam("nathelper", "rtpproxy_sock", "udp:10.192.0.5:22222")

Note that 10.192.0.5 is the private address of the server running the
rtpproxy and you must start up rtpproxy to listen to UDP (rtpproxy -l
10.192.0.5 -s udp:*).
You can of course also configure the ipsec tunnel on
each side to route traffic to the other server's public address through the
ipsec tunnel and thus avoid using private addresses.  However, if you do use
a private address (a more typical ipsec scenario), you need to tell rtpproxy
which public IP address to use when rewriting SDP (10.192.0.5 would normally
be used).  I have submitted (to this list) a patch for rtpproxy where you
can specify the public address on rtpproxy's command line.  I have also sent
the patch to Maxim. I have seen that he is preparing several updates to
nathelper and rtpproxy now, and I hope he will include my patch also.

With the patch you start rtpproxy with: -l 10.192.0.5 -i public_ip -s udp:*
g-)