[Serusers] SER performance degrades dramatically when invalid users send REGISTER messages continuously

tulay sazak tulaysazak at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 1 18:06:05 CET 2005

 Hello everybody,

  I am using SER 0.9.3 and freeRADIUS 1.0.4 with digest authentication.

  I am having problems when users with invalid credentials (wrong  username or password) try to register to SER. The same thing happens  when I insert some records to usergroup table as Reject type in Radius  DB. SER is becoming unfunctional in this case in our system. It cannot  perform registration and cannot make call for even valid subscribers.

  SIP clients with invalid credentials try to register and send REGISTER  messages continuously. A SIP client sends 20 request/min and there are  7-8 clients available at the moment. i.e. it is not a big traffic. But  every client is tried to be  authenticated using digest during  registration and at the beginning of the call.

  In such a case,  SER slows down very much. Retransmissions starts and SER becomes unfunctional.

  Did anyone experienced this problem?
  Do you have any idea why does it happens?

  Thanks in advance..
  Regards,

  Tulay Sazak
  NGN, Borusan Telekom