[Serusers] starting and stopping ser

Hemant Patel (IP) hpatel at ipwise.com
Wed Aug 10 12:11:04 CEST 2005

Hi List ,

Have checked on my Linux server and alas I don't have the
/etc/init.d/ser scripts in it.
I downloaded ser-0.9.3 linux i386.tar.gz and installed same.

Aftre extract I have the /usr/local/etc ../sbin ../lib and ../share
directories from this build but NO /etc/init.d/ser script  ( ??!!) on
the server.

Anyway , went back to basic ser.cfg ( no mysql - just fifo )
Logged in as root

Executed ( from /usr/local/sbin) ser start
Seemed OK. Console screen ser starting with a pid.
Checked /var/log/messages - just a warning regarding fifo not having a
db_url parameter.
checked processes with ps -U and saw ser process running.

Then Executed ( from /usr/local/sbin ) ser stop
Console screen reported ser stopped
ps -u showed ser process still running.
/var/log/messages now reported additional entires and 127.0.0.1 already
bound (?!!)

I had made sure , following a shutdown and a re-start of my Linux box ,
I hadn't acidentally kicked of ser start twice.

Am I doing something way wrong here ?
What am I doing wrong ??

To continue ...

Following a subsequent shutdown and re-start of my Linux box I then did
the following ;

Checked processes running with ps -u and confirmed no ser processes running
Executed ( from /usr/local/sbin ) ./serctl start
Console screen reported ser starting with a pid.
Checked /var/log/messages - and have pasted the log below.
checked processes running with ps -U and saw ser processes running.
checked processes with ./serctl ps and the output is pasted below.
then did a ./serctl stop
Console reported ser stopped
Checked  /var/run and confirmed ser.pid removed
checked ps -U to confirm no ser processes running.

did the above again - with same results.

So , on my SuSE SLES9 Linux box ;
ser start and ser stop is not doing what it is supposed to.
./serctl start and ./serctl stop seems to be.

Any insight into thsi would be much appreciated.

thanks
Hemant

--
Hemant Patel