[Users] Scalability in presence notification

Vincent Luba vincent.luba at multitel.be
Fri Aug 26 12:28:00 CEST 2005

Hi,

I need some advices about a design issue. I'm trying to figure out how to
manage my presence information notifications, using RFC 3856.

I have a situation in which end-to-end presence management wouldn't be
suitable.

Still I'm wondering if server based presence management is a good idea. My
thought is that it present a scalability issue.
The point is that having the presence server would have to handle every
single SUBSCRIBE & PUBLISH request then sends NOTIFY to every watchers.

Is it an efficient way to handle presence in a network with hundreds online
users, everyone having tens of contact on their list.

Thank you for your comments

Luba Vincent