[Serusers] Bug # 2925

Jiri Kuthan jiri at iptel.org
Wed Apr 20 08:00:25 CEST 2005

I received questions for more detailed explanation, so here it is:
branch value serves as transaction id, which (among others) differentiates
retransmission of the same request from new requests. From
RFC3261's standpoint, ACK for a 200 (as opposed to a [3-6]xx ACK)
is a separate transaction, i.e., a different branch value is
adequate.

In case people do keep asking: it is really so, and receivers
MUST be able to deal with ACK branch different from branch
in INVITE. Let's think of a proxy that does not record-route
and introduced branch 1234 to "its" Via. ACK coming later
directly to UAS includes UAC's branch which is different from
proxy's branch. It may or may not be the same as UAC's INVITE
branch but it is different from what UAS sees.

-jiri